Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Work Trip (AFF) - MA and CT - February 2015

I was fortunate, when I worked at the American Forest Foundation (AFF), to travel to New England frequently for my projects. Digging back through my calendar, now 3-years later, I went to Massachusetts and Connecticut in the cold, snowy, winter for a couple of meetings. One meeting was an Estate Planning workshop hosted by our partner there, the New England Forestry Foundation. The other meeting was a Tools for Engaging Landowners Effectively (TELE) meeting at Harvard Forest.

The best thing about these visits is that I got to hang out with my friend Alexandra, my uncle, and my cousins, all who live in the Hartford area. Alex graciously housed me multiple times over the years and this trip, in particular, was wonderful because I was still recovering from surgery.

I am trying to remember why I went to Southington, CT which is south of Hartford. I may have met an old Keep America Beautiful colleague who lived down that way. I am starting to remember lunch at a pizza place ...

Southington, CT

By the looks of these plows, I just missed a pretty big snow thankfully. This no-descript water tower was in the parking lot of the mall where I met my family for dinner.

Manchester, MA

On my way to Sturbridge, MA, which is where I would often stay, I passed this beautiful old mill on  I-84. I stopped and got this great wintery picture. I just read up on the history of this place - Talcottville historic district within Vernon, CT. It was such a cute little historic area. I highly recommend a drive-by.

Talcottville historic district, Vernon, CT
 I saw the most picture-perfect scene on my way to the Harvard Forest just outside the University of MA-Amherst in the small town of Pelham. The white church, white water tower, and white snow were beautiful!

Pelham, MA




No comments: