Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Water towers from around the DMV (District, Maryland, Virginia)

It cracks me up when radio stations, newspapers, etc. refer to our area as the DMV. I always think of the Division of Motor Vehicles. They could have done MDV or VDM, but no - DMV. It also is very close to DMZ - De Militarized Zone which also doesn't have a good connotation in my mind. Be that as it may, we have tried hard to find water towers close to us. There are not many. In 2011, a year after we moved here, I posted some fruits of our labor from the area. This is only my second post in 3 years showing water towers from the DMV area.

However, on previous vacations to DC we have found others. Links to those are here -
1. 2005 drive from NC to MD for a friend's baby shower
2. 2006 Thanksgiving in MD with same friend that had baby (you know who you are!)


Providence Hospital in Northeast DC -
You might think I visited here, as I am accident prone, but we just drove by it.

Rooftop tower off NY Ave -
This is on our way to our favorite spot - The National Arboretum

Maplelawn, MD -
My friend lives up this way. It is a new planned community with all the appropriate big box stores.

Prince William County, Manassas, VA -
I took my interns to visit the local landfill and recycling center in Manassas and low and behold there was a great water tower near by. This picture is cluttered by I love showing all that goes on at a landfill. The school bus took us to the top of the landfill face.



Prince William Forest Park, Manassas, VA -
One day Millie and I just got in the car to go hiking and found this great park.
I was so surprised to see it had an old water tower there. 


Vienna, VA -
This was a true water tower hunting weekend. We drove to the end of the Metro's orange line - Vienna - and found a water tower sporting the local high school mascot.


No comments: