Thursday, November 30, 2006

Turkey Day in MD

We went to see Bob, Emily and Mason this weekend. Of course we found some good water towers while there.

The sun was very bright in the car while water tower hunting.

















We went hiking at the Patuxent River State Park in MD. Not only did we see deer but we saw a train (this picture is for Connor the train lover).





Sykesville. MD.

On the way to the state park, out of the middle of no where, we came upon the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission campus and the Carroll Community College campus.

The campuses have some great old brick buildings.

Check out all the birds on this tower. I am not sure where we were but had stopped at a bowling alley to ask directions.










Prince William. VA.

On the way home we got into lots of traffic on I-95 so we thought we would take highway 1 home instead. We got off at the Potomac Mills Mall exit. A mall with its own water tower. Perfect!




While trying to find highway 1 in Prince William we saw a couple of water tanks used there.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your hiking picture reminds me of the trails I use in Duke Forest. There's even a train track along part of them. You might enjoy hiking there sometime, too. I can give you directions, if you want to try it out. They are secluded enough (in parts) to enjoy the lack of humans, and busy enough (in other parts, at least) not to feel too unsafe.

Darin

M. Lail said...

Kelley: Ya gotta go I-40 West to Mocksville. They have a great water tower right near the interstate that was done by an artist. The townspeople HATE it!

Anonymous said...

Do you have a pic, or is this a call to arms (or cameras) for someone to get one before the locals storm it with torches and Krylon?

Darin

Anonymous said...

Hahaha.

Kelley Dennings said...

Hey guys. I actually already have the Mocksville Water Tower pic - http://watertowers.blogspot.com/2006/02/traveling-west.html. This is really one of my favorite towers. I am working on a letter writing campaign to Mayor Meeker to put a colorful water tower like that in Raleigh. Want to join?

Anonymous said...

Raleigh does not need a *new* tower -- the city needs to liven up the one out by the fairgrounds! Chew on that, Cary!

The Outer Banks have a few (I used to live almost in the shadow of the Kill Devil Hills tower) but I never take pictures out there.

Kelley Dennings said...

Ok. The letter to Meeker won't say we need a "new" tower but need to liven up the one on the NC State vet school campus by the fairgrounds.

Ron and I already envision a nice NC State and Raleigh motif.

Who's on board?

Anonymous said...

As a resident of Durham, I doubt that I have much pull with the mayor of Raleigh, but good luck with your campaign.

Darin